13 Jun 2012

My New PR in a 5k Race!


About a week or so ago I won (yes won again) free entry to a womens run in Copenhagen called Alt for Damerne Løb. I could do a 10k or a 5k. I choose a 5k as my oldest son wanted to cheer me on and I didn't want him to sit by himself for too long.

I decided to try for a new PR in the 5k distance. My best time up to this was 28 minutes and 2 seconds so I was hoping to try and get into 26 minutes something but knew it would be hard to do that.

My sons best 5k is 26 minutes and 27 seconds so I was secretly hoping to get near this time :-)

I had to start near the back as I didn't get my number sent by the post. This meant I was behind lots of women that I was faster than. I knew this was going to be a weaving in and out race! It was.

I tried to get my pace at around 5:10/5:15 and then just ran.

I got my PR!! I finished in 26 minutes and 34 seconds with a pace of 5:13 :-) I am very happy with this time!! 

7 comments:

  1. Super ! Congrats to you! The weight saved by removing that mole did the trick eh? 8)

    I have yet to run a 5k actually 8/...crazy I know.

    You need speed even for the marathon. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it must have been the mole removal :-)

      My next short term goal is to get a PR in a 10k before the end of July!

      Delete
  2. Congrats, training is taking the best out of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I'm thinking it was all the hill training that did it!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! Look at you, getting free entry for the race, starting on the back of the package and getting your PR!!

    What a wonderful race :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I keep entering competitions now hoping to win more free entries.

      I have started to think of doing different kinds of runs since reading your blog ;-)

      Delete
  4. Good job getting the PR - I always find the shorter the distance, the harder to make gains!

    ReplyDelete